Tuesday, April 1, 2008

About RLN

This is late in coming, but I thought perhaps it was time re-post some information about this blog, and why I write what I do here. For those of you who are new, welcome, I'm glad you found your way to RLN.  I'm a (soon-to-be) graduate student in philosophy, who also happens to be a Christ follower. While I don't think this blog is very philosophically rigorous, I do think it's a good place for me to test the waters with my thoughts and ideas, and share those ideas with friends and family. I started RLN mainly to prove to myself that a person could be both a religious believer and also a serious thinker, but I think my stage of needing to prove that to myself is waning. Now I write what I think, be it about religion or philosophy or any of the subsets therein, and I do it for anyone out there who's thinking about the same questions I am. It's okay to believe in God and still ask tough questions, and it's okay not to find the answer. It's also okay to study philosophy and not agree with the standard naturalistic/empiricist line. I'm a firm believer in both the spiritual and the rational, which makes me a rarity of sorts, but being different hasn't bothered me before. And whatever side you happen to be on, or if like me you pursue both, then I'm glad you're here and I hope you enjoy what you read.

That being said, I think it's probably a good idea to end with two more thoughts. First, do not expect posts to be consistent. I'm young and doing a great deal of thinking, and inevitably I will change my mind (a lot). So don't be surprised if something in an earlier post contradicts something in a more recent post, and don't be surprised if I then revert back to my previous stance. It happens, but that's the price of publishing your thoughts. I think my thoughts on these questions are less important than the questions themselves. I say that because I don't expect to solve much here, or offer up many solutions, but rather my goal is to show people that not only is it okay to be asking these questions, but it's also quite important to be doing so (for what that's worth). Secondly, If you ever want to know more about something that I've written, would like to know more specifically what I believe and why, or if you have a post/website/book you think I should check out, feel free to leave a comment or send me an email (regardantlesnuages at gmail dot com).

Oh and for those who are wondering, regardant les nuages is a french phrase that means: gazing at the clouds.

No comments: